April 19, 2010

Making Tiles

Although the thought of making tiles can be intimidating, this 3-D project is actually very easy. By a customer, I was asked to make twelve tiles so she could give them as Mother's Day gifts. She wanted me to keep it simple by making all of the tiles identical, even the color of the flower. Oh how I love simplicity!

There are many ways to make tiles, but this is the way I prefer. This is the first time I did not bake them. I do believe it isn't necessary to do so. To make your own tiles, follow these easy instructions:

SUPPLIES:
  • 4"x4" non-glossy tumbled tiles (found at your local home improvement store)
  • Staz-On ink pad
  • Blender pen
  • Stampin' pastels
  • Stamp set (s) of your choice
  • Baby wipes
  • Felt pads for back
  • Krylon acrylic spray or aerosol hairpray
STEP 1: Wipe tiles free of dust and let dry
STEP 2: *Stamp image onto tile using Staz-On ink*
Why Staz-on? This ink is specifically used for non-porous surfaces and it doesn't run dry.
STEP 3: Using blender pen, choose pastel colors and color the image
STEP 4: In a well ventilated area, follow the Krylon instructions and spray tiles.
Why Krylon? It goes on clear, is moisture resistant and will seal the tile

*NOTE: I was pleasantly surprised when I messed up and grabbed a baby wipe to wipe of my mistake. The image came off with no trouble at all!
The tiles I bought were NOT the ones that were completely unfinished. These had a slight smoothness/glossy look to them. They were NOT the glossy ones. You can tell the difference. You may be able to use the glossy ones too, if you prefer that look. These tiles were about 38 cents each.

No comments: